We all know it can be boring being inside most of the day, so how about occupying yourself with some easy food to make while stuck at home! Now we aren’t suggesting that you use up all the food in the house. We are here to make your life easier and who knows, you might start to enjoy being in the kitchen!
Easy food to make:
- Pancakes/crepes – all you need is flour, eggs and milk! Here is our favourite recipe to use. It says pancake recipe, but since it is a much thinner mixture we think it works way better for crepes!
- Chocolate chip cookies – an all time favourite for everyone and you really can’t go wrong with a good biscuit!
- Banana bread – not sure why it is classed as bread because it tastes like a cake, but either way it’s delicious. This is the recipe we tried the other day and it went down a treat in the house!
- Scones – this is an easy one to make with very few ingredients. We love scones with raisins but we know that is controversial! Here is a great recipe to follow.
- Frittata – the main ingredient in this is eggs but you can add whatever you want to it. We love to add all kinds of veggies and potato to it. You could also add pasta, meats or any kind of leftover veggies that you don’t want to waste.
- Soup – we know this seems silly given that the weather is becoming quite nice, but sometimes you just want some nice homely foods. Our go to soup is carrot and turnip soup. In it is carrots, turnip, onion, garlic, vegetable stock and we like to add barley or lentils in as well. The ingredients are fairly simple and again soup is one of those things where you can add in what you like.
- Pizza – if you have run out of pizza’s and can’t get to the shop we have a solution. All you need are some wraps, tomato sauce and cheese. You can add on any topping you would like and turn it into a fun pizza party with the family.
- Fishcakes – if you have any tinned fish in the cupboard like tuna or salmon and don’t what to do with it, you can turn them into fishcakes. Add in spices, an egg and breadcrumbs to help bind them, and potato if you want. We also like to add in sauted onions and peppers for flavour and a bit of a crunch. The potato makes them a bit more filling and it also helps to make more of them. For added flavour we like to use sweet potato instead!
- Pies – shortcrust pastry is really easy to make and you could make a savoury pie with fish or meat, or sweet pie with apples or rhubarb. It’s double the amount of flour for butter with a little water to help bind. 4oz butter/margarine and 8oz plain flour makes a nice amount.
- Pasta bake/ mac n cheese – a great way to sneak some veg into a dish for those fussy eaters and quick to make. Grab some cheese and tomato sauce for the pasta bake and it’s as easy as that. Check out our really versatile easy tomato sauce recipe here!
Hope this is enough to keep you going for the next little while. If you are struggling coming up with easy recipes Jamie Oliver and BBC good food have simple recipes to follow.
It might also be a good idea to have a look at what food you do have and then come up with a weekly menu for what you are going to cook. It’s a great idea and will save you time on figuring out what you are going to eat every day for dinner. You can always take these easy meal ideas and take them to the next level by making them fun!