Sleep Struggles and Pregnancy

SHARE THIS ARTICLE:

Sleep struggles and pregnancy go hand in hand, and it can be very hard to get comfortable.

91% of expectant mothers go through sleep struggles, that they had no warning about.

The Sleep Struggles Expectant Mums Aren’t Warned About

  • Not being able to turn is the biggest issue for expectant mothers trying to get to sleep.
  • 9 out of 10 of mothers have a disrupted sleeping routine while pregnant.
  • 48% of working expectant mothers say they have to battle through a working day because of tiredness.

A survey of 2,000 pregnant women by Happy Beds has revealed that 91% of expectant mothers have a disrupted sleeping routine while pregnant.

The survey also revealed that just a 27% of respondents were made aware of how much of a struggle sleeping while pregnant would be. While the remaining 73% had no idea that sleeping would be such a challenge.

The top reasons for expectant mothers not being able to get to sleep include:

  1.  Being unable to turn over when you want to
  2.  Heartburn
  3.  The baby moving
  4.  Being too hot
  5.  The baby kicking
  6.  Restless legs
  7.  Sore hips
  8.  Feeling sick
  9.  Worrying if the baby will be healthy
  10.  Their partner is annoying them

57% of mums-to-be have found themselves brought to tears by tiredness during their pregnancy. While 48% admit to having to battle through a working day due to no sleep the night before.

Joy Richards, Sleep Expert at Happy Beds, says:

“Getting to sleep while pregnant is extremely difficult, and awareness needs to be raised so that the challenges don’t come as a complete surprise. Some may find that the reason is physical, such as having a bump so big that they can’t get into the correct sleeping position, while others may find the anxiety of becoming a new mum keeps them up at night.

With the potential of a baby boom thanks to lockdown, there has never been a better time to discuss the difficulty of sleeping while pregnant.”

However, it isn’t just expectant mothers that are suffering throughout the pregnancy. A third of partners sleep in the other room to give mothers more space, with 80% of women saying they feel bad for their partners being kept up at night too.

To view the full research, view the page here: https://www.happybeds.co.uk/blog/pregnancy-slumber-study

About Happy Beds

Happy Beds is an independent bedroom and furniture retailer based in Batley, West Yorkshire. Founded in 2010, Happy Beds originally began as a third-party seller on Amazon and eBay before launching its own domain www.happybeds.co.uk in 2012.

Since then, it has grown into a business with a turnover of more than £3m. Based entirely in the UK, all of the Happy Beds’ products are built to order and sent from its Manchester distribution centre.

Happy Beds’ products have recently been voted as Best Bunk Bed and Best Storage Bed by the Independent, and one of The Best Mattress Guide’s 10 Best Mattresses.

Check out how to transition your kids with the time change coming up!

Discover More

Recent Articles

Follow Us

Don't miss a thing, register to our newsletter!

Top

On this website we use first or third-party tools that store small files (cookie) on your device. Cookies are normally used to allow the site to run properly (technical cookies), to generate navigation usage reports (statistics cookies) and to suitable advertise our services/products (profiling cookies). We can directly use technical cookies, but you have the right to choose whether or not to enable statistical and profiling cookies. Enabling these cookies, you help us to offer you a better experience.